Network Abuse Engineer - Herndon, VA
Cogent Communications is a multinational, Tier 1 facilities-based ISP, consistently ranked as one of the top five networks in the world and is publicly traded on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the ticker symbol CCOI. Cogent specializes in providing businesses with high speed Internet access and point-to-point transport services. Cogent's facilities-based, all-optical IP network backbone provides IP services in over 206 markets globally. Since its inception, Cogent has unleashed the benefits of IP technology, building one of the largest and highest capacity IP networks in the world. This network enables Cogent to offer large bandwidth connections at highly competitive prices. Cogent also offers superior customer support by virtue of its end-to-end control of service delivery and network monitoring. Cogent offers competitive compensation and a full benefits package that takes effect within 30 days of employment. Matching 401k and stock options are also included.
- Keeps abreast of current Network Abuse/Security vulnerabilities, latest network attacks, viruses, exploits, and mitigation strategies.
- Network Abuse/Security, Herndon Hosting Center Operational Support, and other duties as needed.
- Monitor, sort, document, and process incoming complaints and security reports per protocol.
- Work with customers to identify and mitigate Network Abuse and Security issues in accordance with best practices.
- Conduct risk assessments on new prospective customers.
- Work through complex issues, escalating when appropriate.
- Advanced knowledge of Internet, networking, and computer security best practices; familiarity with Windows and UNIX OS’s.
- Familiarity with basic Cisco IOS and IOSXR CLI.
- Working knowledge of network attack tools, methodologies, and counter-measures used in DoS, DDoS, DrDoS attacks.
- Working knowledge of IP, routing protocols, DNS.
- Experience in reading and identifying key components of e-mail headers, security and system logs, and other relevant data in abuse and security incidents.
- Experience with network intelligence and monitoring tools such as Kentik.
- Strong organizational skills, able to excel with minimal supervision.
- Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in a technical field or equivalent experience, certifications and training.
Cogent Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.