Software Developer - Network Engineering - Washington, DC
Cogent Communications is a multinational, Tier 1 facilities-based ISP, consistently ranked as one of the top five networks in the world and is publicly traded on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the ticker symbol CCOI. Cogent specializes in providing businesses with high speed Internet access and point-to-point transport services. Cogent's facilities-based, all-optical IP network backbone provides IP services in over 204 markets globally. Since its inception, Cogent has unleashed the benefits of IP technology, building one of the largest and highest capacity IP networks in the world. This network enables Cogent to offer large bandwidth connections at highly competitive prices. Cogent also offers superior customer support by virtue of its end-to-end control of service delivery and network monitoring. Cogent offers competitive compensation and a full benefits package that takes effect within 30 days of employment. Matching 401k and stock options are also included.
Global Internet service provider looking for a software developer to enhance and maintain applications and websites relating to network configuration, monitoring, and operations. Under the guidance of the technical lead, the developer will work with application stakeholders to gather requirements, produce proofs-of-concept, obtain feedback, and complete the implementation of new applications and enhancements. This position requires a full understanding of SDLC as well as the ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
This is a permanent, on-site position in Washington DC. No telecommute.
- Knowledge of networking and the telecommunications industry. If you can configure a Cisco or Juniper router, go to the head of the line.
- 3+ years development experience in a high-level language such as Java, Go, or PHP.
- 2+ years Perl development experience.
- 2+ years full-time experience with MySQL and/or MSSQL.
- Experience in all phases of SDLC, OO analysis and design, and revision control systems
- Ability to converse with end-users, gather requirements, and provide feedback in plain non-technical English
- Ability to structure a software project (UI / API / DB)
- Ability to write clear, concise, and accurate technical documentation
- At least 2 years of Computer Science college education
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with Linux, especially RedHat, Fedora, or CentOS.
- Familiarity with the PHP Laravel framework.
- Some familiarity with Java or C++ is highly desirable
- BS in Computer Science
Cogent Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.