Facilities Engineer - Washington, DC / Northern VA
Cogent Communications is a multinational, Tier 1 facilities-based ISP, consistently ranked as one of the top five networks in the world and is publicly traded on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the ticker symbol CCOI. Cogent specializes in providing businesses with high speed Internet access and point-to-point transport services. Cogent's facilities-based, all-optical IP network backbone provides IP services in over 202 markets globally. Since its inception, Cogent has unleashed the benefits of IP technology, building one of the largest and highest capacity IP networks in the world. This network enables Cogent to offer large bandwidth connections at highly competitive prices. Cogent also offers superior customer support by virtue of its end-to-end control of service delivery and network monitoring. Cogent offers competitive compensation and a full benefits package that takes effect within 30 days of employment. Matching 401k and stock options are also included.
- Oversee power and infrastructure design at major hub sites across North America and Europe.
- Manage, track and optimize existing space and power across the network.
- Design, manage, and oversee infrastructure upgrades at Major hub sites.
- Calculate power and space requirements for projects involving equipment installations.
- Work with vendors to provide cost effective solutions for infrastructure upgrades and maintenance
- Document requirements and procedures for generator backup during site power shutdowns.
- Coordinate power upgrades and maintenances with field Engineering, network operations, and vendors.
- Work with internal departments, vendors, and management to add or optimize space, power, and HVAC.
- Work with Information Systems to create software tools to manage space and power inventory
- Maintain proficiency in up-to-date technological developments in electrical power systems (AC and DC), cable management systems and equipment infrastructure.
- Provide Coordination between field managers and Head office on construction projects.
- 5+ years experience with central office and/or data center infrastructure
- Working knowledge of AC and DC power systems
- Experience designing central offices, data centers and rack layouts.
- The ability to travel 20% of the time
- Project management experience.
- Strong problem solving and trouble shooting skills
- High-energy individual with interpersonal skills to work effectively with others, motivate peers, and drive project to completion
- Experience managing vendors and carriers
- Familiarity with telco operations
- Successful project management experience
- Bachelor's degree in a technical field or equivalent experience, certifications, or training
Cogent Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.